Wedding day hair…After being a stylist for more than 6 years, I have seen best best and the worst. I have always found it so amazing how much hair matters to people on that day. From the bride to the flower girl, every one wants their hair to look better than the next girl sitting beside her. Basically it all starts with the bride. First, her finding her perfect dress. Second, she grazes through countless of magazines, searching for the perfect hair. Or she has had the hair style she wants in the back of her mind since she was 12. I cant tell you how many times I have seen a future bride sit down in my chair with 10,20,30,or 40 pictures of hair styles. And as she tells me what she wants for her special day, I can only think, Why?
Her are some tips on wedding day hair, coming from a hair stylist, with no whip cream and certainly no cherry.
1. Please bring pictures with you. Even if you cant find one that has it all. If you find 3 or 4 pictures that you like, your stylist should be able to combine them all.
2. Keep this in the back of your mind at all times, I do not have the same hair type as the woman in the picture ! That means that its nearly impossible to re-create the same hairstyle on you. Dont expect your hair to up, with a mountain of curls, if your hair is shoulder length and extremely thin.
3. Do not tell your bridesmaids how to wear their hair on your wedding day. It seriously causes major friction. Every women knows what looks best on them. Your idea may look great on your sister but will look terrible on your best friend from college.
4. Please take into account, what your wedding night will be like. Cant emphasize this enough. At the end of your night, your going to be tired, worn out, and just want to have some along time with your new hubby. Do you want to spend 30 minutes taking your hair down? Then spending 30 mins washing all the hair spray and hair wax out? I have always felt that having a hairstyle that will look great after you take it down is key. Think, loose curls beautifully placed on your on top of your crown, then after taking it down, having loose beautiful curls cascading down your back. Can we say romantic?
5. Give your hair stylist a break. She wants your to look as beautiful as possible and believe me, she is really stressed out. We know how important your hair is. And we really want you to be happy.